With the bright colours and wonderful scents of summer to look forward to, May is a busy time in your garden. Here are this months tips from the gardening experts at Bellis Brothers Garden Centre.
• Clear away spring bedding ready for your summer display at the end of the month.
• Lawns should be mown regularly and a lawn feed used if needed.
• Roses and other susceptible plants need to be sprayed regularly to prevent mildew and blackspot.
• Place supports for herbaceous plants.
• Hedges can be trimmed and fed.
• Borders & flowerbeds can be fed with a slow release plant food.
• Sweet pea plants can be planted out.
• Finish planting any shrubs.
• Continue sowing vegetables, particularly salad crops, little and often for a continuous supply.
• Protect young plants and vegetables from slugs.
• Fruit bushes especially currants and gooseberries need protecting from bird damage.
• Continue with your weeding programme, a layer of bark may help keep weed away.
Expert help on hand
Don’t forget, our team is always on hand to answer any questions you may have about getting the best out of any plants you buy at our Garden Centre. If you want directions for finding us (we are only minutes from Wrexham and Chester), take a look at our map.