Protecting the future…
In recent years, awareness of environmental and sustainability issues has grown, with people and companies recognising the importance of good environmental management. Here at Bellis’ we have made a start to improve our Environmental Footprint which is a step in the right direction. We are committed to a continuous process of development and want our business to function and grow in an environmentally sustainable manner.
Below are some of the areas we have made a step in the right direction;
Water efficiency & energy conservation
- As a business we try to limit the amount of water we use and offer a range of products for you to save water and limit your use.
- Our employees are encouraged to turn off lights and electrical equipment when they are not required.
- Timers and thermostats are installed to prevent the waste of resources.
- All lightbulbs on the premises have been changed to LEDs which are 80% more efficient than traditional lighting.
- We source produce from local suppliers where possible, reducing food miles and supporting local growers and producers. In our Farm Shop our local produce is celebrated by showing its distance from source to our site.
- We have a working market gardening farm next to the shop and we sell our homegrown seasonal fruit and vegetables in the farm shop. From field to shop with zero food miles!
- Our Strawberry Fields Restaurant uses our homegrown seasonal fruit and vegetables in the food they prepare as much as possible.
Recycling & Waste Management
- Over 96% of our company waste is recycled.
- We sell compost bins to allow our customers increase their recycling potential.
- We have reduced the use of our plastic bags at the tills considerably by introducing a charge and all bags are now biodegradable.
- Each year we make a donation to an environmental charity from the profit from the plastic bag charge. In 2018 our chosen charity was the Holt Community Gardeners.
- We have introduced the use of paper bags in our fruit and vegetable department in the farm shop.
- In the restaurant our coffee cups and lids are biodegradable. We also use biodegradable straws and recyclable sandwich containers.
- Refillable water jars are present to reduce people buying single use plastic water bottles.
- At the tills we provide cardboard boxes from our deliveries for customers to re-use.
- We have sourced a range of ‘Bio Based Growing Pots’ which are 100% biodegradable and made from 100% natural and sustainable material.
- All of our wooden furniture uses timber with the FSC guarantee. This means the wood used in the furniture is extracted with minimal environmental impact and sourced from sustainably managed forests.
As a business we think it is important to give back to our community.
- For over 10 years we have worked closely with Nightingale House Hospice, Wrexham.
- We also support our local schools, churches and local charities where possible.
- We regularly have charities instore to raise awareness and / or much needed funds for their wonderful causes e.g. RSPB, Woodland Trust, The Country Trust, Motor Neuron Disease Association.
- We hold a weekly coffee morning for our senior customers with the aim of them making new friends, this is in association with Age Connect.
- The local Library bus visits every third week.
- We work closely with the Country Trust Charity by offering educational farm visits for children.
Please see the community page on our website for further information.
We are aware of the concern in reducing peat use to minimise the effects of global peat extraction on peat bog habits. We only sell growing medium products from responsible and reputable companies. We sell organic peat free multipurpose compost and vegetable compost. Next season we will also stock an organic peat free vegetable compost. Our supplies have improved the labelling and information on their packaging with regards to peat content enabling our customers to make informed decisions when purchasing other composts.