• 125g (4oz) butter
• 175g (6oz) black treacle
• 150ml (¼ pint) milk
• 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
• 175g (6oz) medium oatmeal
• 125g (4oz) dark muscovado sugar
• 2 level tsp ground ginger
• 1 medium egg, beaten
• 18cm (7in) square cake tin, lined with baking parchment
1. Place the butter, treacle and milk in a pan, and heat gently until butter has melted.
2. Add the flour, oatmeal, sugar and ginger, and then beat in the egg.
3. Pour mixture into the lined tin and bake in the centre of a preheated oven at 160°C (320°F, gas mark 2) for 1 hour, or until the centre of the cake is just firm to the touch.
4. Remove cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes, and then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. When the Parkin is cold, wrap it in clean baking parchment then foil, and keep it in a cool place for 3-4 days before eating.