175g of White Fish
175g Smoked haddock
Half a Broccoli
Half a Cauliflower
Half a Leek
1 slice of bread
50g Butter or Low fat alternative
50g Cheddar cheese
50g Plain flour
Sprigs of parsley for garnish
Salt and Pepper
1. Cook your cauliflower and broccoli for 6 minutes, steaming is best as it retains all the goodness and flavour.
2. Place the veg into a large enough oven proof dish and mix in your pieces of uncooked and cut into 2cm strips fish. Ensure it is mixed evenly.
3. To make the sauce melt the butter in a medium sized pan and over a medium heat. Add the finely chopped leek and cook until softened. Sprinkle over the 50g plain flour and mix well, cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Warm the milk in another pan or in the microwave. Using a whisk add the milk to the butter and flour mixture until it is a good creamy consistency. Cook for about 3-4 minutes so that all the flour is cooked out. The sauce should be smooth and shiny at this point! Add the grated cheddar cheese and salt and pepper and stir in.
5. Now pour your sauce over the fish and veg. Grate the slice of bread into bread crumbs and sprinkle over the dish.
6. To cook place in a pre-heated oven gas mark 5 or 170 for 35 minutes until the bake starts to bubble and the topping starts to crisp and brown.
7. Garnish with the parsley and serve.