• 2 large potatoes
• 2 large carrots
• 1 large onion
• 115g dried haricot beans
• 115g yellow split peas
• 900ml ham or 900ml vegetable stock
• 250g chopped cooked ham
• 2 pre-cooked cured smoked sausages, chopped into cubes
• 2 sprigs fresh parsley
• salt and pepper
1. Soak the split yellow peas and haricot beans in cold water overnight. Next day, drain them well and rinse them under running water in a sieve.
2. Chop the potatoes, carrots and onions into small cubes, and place all the vegetables, split peas, haricot beans and chopped parsley into a large saucepan, add the stock and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat so that the mixture is just simmering.
3. Simmer for 1 hour or until the split peas and haricot beans are soft.
4. Chop the smoked sausages and cooked ham into small cubes and then add them to the soup and heat gently for a further 5 to 10 minutes. Stir well and taste, more salt and pepper can be added if the soup needs more seasoning.
5. Garnish with chopped parsley and a swirl of cream and serve with fresh crusty bread.